19 Tips You Should Consider Before Selling Your Home: These Tips Will Help You Prepare for a Successful Sale
Once your property is on the market, it becomes a product. Therefore, integrating Home Styling or Staging is important, since it highlights your property’s virtues and it helps conceal the deficiencies. It’s not only about decorating, but about transforming it into a model house, so it attracts a broad range of possible buyers. The goal is to make the buyers feel at home, and the best way to do this is by “neutralizing” the environment.
Try these helpful suggestions about styling taken from “Setting the Stage – REALTOR® Magazine Online”. They have compiled the best tips from professional stagers and real estate agents, which you could do yourself for little to no charge, to get your property ready to receive buyers.
- Empty your closets and organize them: Can give away, sell, or pack toys, bedding, and small kitchen items and store them away from home. Buyers can understand seeing well-organized storage boxes in, for example, the garage.
- Concentrate on the more visible areas: the kitchen, living room, the main bedroom, and the family.
- Eliminate photos and personal items: Allow the buyers to feel in their home, not yours.
- Decorate with plants in appealing and non-expensive pots to fill empty spaces.
- Pay attention to home catalogs, like Pinterest, for ideas about small details that embellish and beautify the property. For example, an organized bookcase, paintings, or small sculptures.
- Create more interesting places in bedrooms: relocate one or two pieces of furniture, and keep them 2 to 6 inches away from the walls.
- Put away or pack up collection items like porcelain plates, utensils, etc.
- Put away valuable objects, medicine, and delicate items.
- Trim the trees and/or shrubs, be sure to keep the lawn trimmed, the garden taken care of and constantly water it to make it look green and alive.
- Water your lawn for five minutes, 30 minutes before the buyers arrive: this makes the grass and the plants shine with the sun.
- Avoid cooking that leave strong odors, like fish, garlic, fried foods, etc.
- Keep the house clean, including bathrooms, carpets, curtains and windows.
- Keep the dining table clean: if you use a tablecloth, make sure it doesn’t have any stains.
- Decorate the house with fresh flowers in different areas of the house: this adds color and pleasant odors.
- Turn on your air conditioners at least 30 minutes before the visit: this helps your home to feel fresh and welcoming.
- Place a mirror in a nice frame: this can make small bedrooms feel bigger.
- Use as much natural light as possible: open windows and curtains, and if you need more illumination, add extra lamps in rooms or dark corners. You can also change your lightbulbs for “Day Light” to make them brighter.
- Make functional repairs: correct leaks in sinks, fix imperfections in walls and ceilings, and retouch the paint where needed.
- Invite a friend or family member that likes decoration, even if they are not prefessionals: they can see problems and details that you may not have noticed before.
I hope these 19 Things You Should Consider Before Selling Your Home have helped you visualize how to make your property more appealing to possible buyers. If you have any questions about this subject or if you are considering putting your house up for sale, we recommend you contact us. We would be glad to orientate and help you throughout the whole process.